Serious Infection Watch at Lafourche Animal Shelter

From:┬áMeg Farris / Medical Reporter – www.wwltv.com

lafourche animal shelter

wwltv.com Meg Harris, Medical Reporter

HOUMA, La. — Animals and people who work at the Lafourche Animal Shelter are being watched for a serious infection after a dog tested positive.

The shelter is not accepting animals until the end of this week. That’s a precaution so workers can make sure that the sick dog did not spread the infection.

“Friday we had, you know, our employees go around and bleach all, every, all the ground, every inch,” said shelter manager Hilary Knight.

Shortly after ‘Montana,’ a young, homeless, terrier mix was rescued by a good Samaritan and brought to the Lafourche Animal Shelter, her liver began to fail. Tests later reveled she had leptospirosis, a potentially deadly bacteria for pets and people.

Experts at LSU Veterinary School told the shelter it’s most likely that Montana got the leptospirosis off site before she came to the shelter, by drinking water that a rodent had urinated in. And even though the shelter does not have a rodent problem, they still had pest control come out for treatment.

The shelter in Thibodaux decided to close for 10 days, until this Thursday, to make sure the many other animals and workers did not get the bacteria.

Full Story Here

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge